Monday, April 6, 2009

Identifying With Music

My personal taste in music comes not really from my generation but rather from my parents generation. When all the kids were rockin out to the flavor of the week I was listening to folk music form the 1960s. I enjoyed people like Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, and Don McLean as opposed more recent artists. This is not say I listened only to old music but if I had to pick a favorite song "American Pie" or "The Times are a Changin" would always rank higher than songs like "Buddy Holly" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit." So what did I gain from my love of 60s-70s folk rock? I think a gained an aperciation for the era. I became interested in the history behind the music and what the artists were really trying to say about the government, and the lifestyle was percieved to be the "American Dream." As I grew older I learned about the events surronding the music, and the poltical divide that devined the era. In a way the music not only gave me a healthy interest in history but in part also helped to shape my poltical views. As such I feel that by continuing to enjoy those artists I am helping to preserve a part of America's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment